Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi all,
Currently I'm teaching English to middle school students (7th -9th graders) in my home country.
I'd like to ask about the use of "guys". Do you think it is appropriate for teachers to say, "Good morning, guys" or "Hello, guys" instead of saying "Good morning, everyone" or "Hello, everybody" as I heard my teachers say to us?

Hi all,
Currently I'm teaching English to middle school students (7th-9th graders) in my home country.
I'd like to ask about the use of "guys". Do you think it is appropriate for teachers to say, "Good morning, guys" or "Hello, guys" instead of saying "Good morning, everyone" or "Hello, everybody" as I heard my teachers say to us?

I always recommend that people avoid the use of "guys" to mixed groups unless they are your own friends and you know that it's an acceptable phrase to all of them. The generation of children born from about 2000 onwards are far more likely to be sensitive about the use of any gender-specific terminology.

This question is best addressed to your colleagues in the staffroom or your headteacher.

We can only guess at the level of formality expected of teachers in your school.

I think it's fine, yes. I think it's up to the teacher to decide the level of formality in his/her classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back