Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Health is much improved over last month. (Your Personal Horoscope 2017 by Joseph Polansky)

Why isn't it "has much improved"?

They're both possible. Is tells us the state of your health: much improved. "Improved" is an adjective in this sentence.

"Has improved" is a verb in the present perfect. It tells us what happened. "Improved" is a past participle in this phrase.

They're both possible. Is tells us the state of your health: much improved. "Improved" is an adjective in this sentence.

But it's talking about "last month". Why "is" is used? Is it because the word "over" is used?

No, it's not about last month. It's about now. The person's health is better (now) than it was last month.

But it's talking about "last month". Why is "is" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] used? Or "Why does it use 'is'?" Is it because the word "over" is used?
Yes. Your health now is much better than it was last month.

Does "over" indicate "now"? I thought it meant during a period.

It's much improved over last month - It's much improved compared to last month.

"Over" doesn't mean "now".

Last edited:
Always pay attention to context.

It's a horoscope; it purports to prognosticate what your health is going to be like for the rest of this month.

(Or it did back in 2017 when it was printed. Why are you reading that ancient stuff?)

(See How the Stars Can Predict Your Future by Horace Cope)

It's a horoscope; it purports to prognosticate what your health is going to be like for the rest of this month.

(Or it did back in 2017 when it was printed. Why are you reading that ancient stuff?)

(See How the Stars Can Predict Your Future by Horace Cope)

Because I forgot I bought that book:oops:. Now I use it to learn English.

Because I forgot I bought that book:oops:. Now I use it to learn English.

If it contains lots of sentences like the one in post #1, please don't use it to learn English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back