Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This part is from the book PICTURES, texted by Robin Muir.

Anyone has an idea what it is talking...?
And what are the meanings of heads and pop through here?
I suppose it is deliberated written in this complex confusing way to show people how does surrealism look like?

It is inescapable too, but there is a streak of surrealism in Tim’s pictures – as if you couldn’t guess by the streaks of bacon ascending a model’s legs chased by a spider crab or the torn sheets of paper out of which heads pop unexpectedly through. This is the genial surrealism of Magritte rather than the ambiguous, sexually charged tableaux of Dalí.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Re: Totally lost...

Please cite the source and author of that text.

verafxh, I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

It is edited, and perhaps the title of this article is [h=2]The Prospect for Arcadia:
Tim Walker’s Never-Ending SummerI Love Pictures, March 2007[/h]

Here's one image from Magritte with one head popping through the canvas.

See more here: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...=Kzr-VrDhNaThmAXNmLOYBg#imgrc=FawPgGsraPoY_M:

images

Does anyone [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have any idea what [STRIKE]it is talking...?[/STRIKE] this means?

I suppose it is [STRIKE]deliberated[/STRIKE] deliberately written in this complex confusing way to show people [STRIKE]how does[/STRIKE] what surrealism looks like?

Note my corrections above.

No, the writer is not trying to write surrealistically. It's normal writing ABOUT surrealism. When Muir mentions heads that seem to pop through paper, it's a reference to images like this:

attachment.php

Porky Pig appears to be popping through the image. Does the text make sense now?

Attachments

• porky_pig_thats_all_folks.jpg
    porky_pig_thats_all_folks.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 10
not a teacher

"…the torn sheets of paper out of which heads pop unexpectedly through."

I find the "through" here to be redundant as "out of" already describes the action.

Perhaps, "the torn sheets of paper out of which heads pop unexpectedly."

… or even better,
"the torn sheets of paper through which heads pop unexpectedly."

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back