[Grammar] He was very tired...,so he said that he was sorry TO/NOT TO accompany us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Disclaimer:-This is not my homework.

He was very tired of work,so he said that he was sorry to accompany us.

I think that as he have not accompanied us due to his tiredness,the sentence should be :- He was very tired of work,so he said that he was sorry not to accompany us.

Please tell me :- Are both the sentences correct and if not then which one is correct? If both are correct, do they have any difference in meaning?

Last edited:
Where did you find 'He was very tired of work, so he said that he was sorry to accompany us.'

It's not a natural sentence, even you insert the missing 'not'.

If both are correct, is there any difference in meaning?
Leave a space after every comma.

I found it in a grammar practice book(non-standard).
By the way, thanks for the advice.
Also, please tell :- Does "not" have some significance (even if the sentence is not natural)?

Last edited:
It is different to say that a person is tired of work rather than to say he is tired from working. A person who is tired of work doesn't want to work anymore. But a person who is tired from working is physically exhausted. A person might say, for example:

I have been working all day, and I need to rest. I am going to stay home for a while.

or

I have been working, and I need to rest. Give me some time, and maybe I'll join you later.

or

I am tired from working. I am going to stay home and rest. Could you bring me some takeout?

or

I've been working a lot, and I'm tired. I'm going to take a nap. But you go out and have fun.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back