Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is not my homework.

I think that "used to" can be used in the following two ways.
-To tell the routine activity of the past.
If we use "used to" to discuss about the routine activity of the past, we use infinite form of the verb in the sentence.
Examples:- I used to smoke in the past. I used to travel by bus.
Negative sentences can be formed as-
1- I did not use to smoke. I did not use to travel by bus.
Interrogative sentences can be formed as-
2:- Did I use to smoke? Did I use to travel by bus?
Also we can form the interrogative sentences in this format-
3:- Used I to smoke? Used I to travel by bus?

-To tell that a subject has become accustomed to something. In this case we can use "used to" for past, present and future.
In this case we use gerund after "used to" if we are implying an activity or we can also use a noun.
Examples:- I am used to smoke(a noun). I was used to smoke. I will be used to smoke.
I am used to smoking(an activity). I was used to smoking. I will be used to smoking.
I am used to travelling by bus. I was used to travelling by bus. I will be used to travelling by bus.
Negative sentences can be formed as:-
4- I am not used to smoke. I was not used to smoke. I will not be used to smoke.
Interrogative sentences can be formed as-
5- Am I used to smoke? Was I used to smoke? Will I be used to smoke?

Readers of this post are requested to correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
Please tell me if the words/letters indicated in red are grammatically correct or they can be left out.

We don't use the inverted interrogative form with used to.

The interrogative would be "Did I/you/he/she/we/they use to smoke?"

All the sentences in the numbered groups are grammatically correct. The sentences in group three are archaic.

The following forms are grammatically incorrect, but we see them so often that many people would not notice the mistake:
I didn't used to smoke. Did I used to smoke?
I think people add the d because it comports better with the unvoiced pronunciation of the word. Use to in the negative form is pronounced the same as used to in the affirmative form, at least in American English.

I don't mean to suggest that I didn't used to is correct, but it's extremely common.

Those people who don't use an auxiliary also say "I used not smoke" (without "to" before "smoke").

I should have said "Some of those people ...".

Is rest all fine?

Another helpful reply. Thanks. "I recommend that you do not use this pattern." I don't intend to use the pattern but I need to make sure whether they are grammatically correct or not, however archaic it may be. I think you agree that they are acceptable in a grammatical context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back