Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Deborah Birx: I have known Dr. Fauci since the early ‘80s, when Dr. Fauci was really working on autoimmune diseases, and he was my attending when I was a fellow. So I met him when I was 24.

Source: The New England Journal of Medicine
The Fauci Phenomenon

Does "attending" here mean "my assistant"? That is, "he was my attending when I was a fellow" means "he was my assitant and I was his boss at the time"?
Perhaps "fellow" here only means "a graduate student"; Fauci serves as her assistant. I am not sure.

The sentence suggests she's much younger. I doubt she was his superior.

I think it's probably short for "attending physician" but what that means, I don't know.

Thank you 5jj. So that answers your question, Good Taste. Fauci was her supervisor, as I thought, and not the other way round.

Thank you 5jj. So that answers your question, Good Taste. Fauci was her supervisor, as I thought, and not the other way round.
Yes. As I read along, it shows that Fauci was the boss.

Yes. As I read thought all along, it shows that Fauci was the boss.
Using "the boss" suggests that Fauci was the person in charge of everyone else. When both of them were working, Fauci was his supervisor, as Barque said. However, someone else was probably Fauci's supervisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back