He was already rich. VS He is already rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say different things. It depends on context which should be used.

He was already rich - "already" refers to a time before the time of writing.
He is already rich - "already" refers to any time before right now.

He is already rich - "already" refers to any time before right now.
Sorry.
The meaning of 'Already' in the first example is 'before', and in the second is 'now'. Am I right?

Sorry.
The meaning of 'already' in the first example is 'before', and in the second is 'now'. Am I right?
The word "already" refers to the time beforehand in either case.

Let's say we're talking about the year 2000. I could say that my uncle was already rich in 2000. It tells us nothing about his level of wealth now. He might have lost every penny in 2001, or any time before today, or he might still be rich.

If I say that he is already rich, I must be talking about now because I used the present tense.

You've made a slip-up here.

You mean 'before the past point in time marked by was'.

Let's say we're talking about the year 2000. I could say that my uncle was already rich in 2000. It tells us nothing about his level of wealth now. He might have lost every penny in 2001, or any time before today, or he might still be rich.

If I say that he is already rich, I must be talking about now because I used the present tense.

Sorry again.
What is the difference between these two sentences below? Does 'Already' show surprise or something has happened before now?
1) My uncle was already rich in 2000.
2) My uncle was rich in 2000.

"My uncle was rich in 2000" suggests that he is not rich now.

"My uncle was already rich in 2000" compared to what? What's it a response to? Who is supposed to be surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back