Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

The blood-type belief has been used in unusual ways. ...
The belief even affects politics. One former prime minister considered it important enough to reveal in his official profile that he was a type A, while his opposition rival was type B.

(Quoted from the General Scholastic Ability Test in Taiwan, 2006)

---------
Why does the blue part include an "a" whereas the red part doesn't?

I have two possible answers:

1. It means that he was a type A (person), while his opposition rival('s the blood type) was type B.
or
2. This isn't a well-written sentence. The "a" in the blue part should be omitted, or an "a" should be added to the red part, in order to be parallel.

What do you think?

PS - Should I use "an 'a'", or simply "a"? I mean, I don't know if a determiner before words, in this case, "a" (word), is necessary.

---------
(Full context)

In Japan, a person’s blood type is popularly believed to decide his/her temperament and personality. Type-A people are generally considered sensitive perfectionists and good team players, but over-anxious. Type Os are curious and generous but stubborn. Type ABs are artistic but mysterious and unpredictable, and type Bs are cheerful but eccentric, individualistic, and selfish. Though lacking scientific evidence, this belief is widely seen in books, magazines, and television shows.

The blood-type belief has been used in unusual ways. The women’s softball team that won gold for Japan at the Beijing Olympics is reported to have used blood-type theories to customize training for each player. Some kindergartens have adopted teaching methods along blood group lines, and even major companies reportedly make decisions about assignments based on an employee’s blood type. In 1990, Mitsubishi Electronics was reported to have announced the formation of a team composed entirely of AB workers, thanks to “their ability to make plans.”

The belief even affects politics. One former prime minister considered it important enough to reveal in his official profile that he was a type A, while his opposition rival was type B. In 2011, a minister, Ryu Matsumoto, was forced to resign after only a week in office, when a bad-tempered encounter with local officials was televised. In his resignation speech, he blamed his failings on the fact that he was blood type B.

The blood-type craze, considered simply harmless fun by some Japanese, may manifest itself as prejudice and discrimination. In fact, this seems so common that the Japanese now have a term for it: bura-hara, meaning blood-type harassment. There are reports of discrimination leading to children being bullied, ending of happy relationships, and loss of job opportunities due to blood type.

Last edited:
It's two ways of saying the same thing. I don't thing consistency is necessary here. If you're type A, you're a type A. Using the variant is a stylistic choice.

It's two ways of saying the same thing. I don't think consistency is necessary here. If you're type A, you're a type A. Using the variant is a stylistic choice.

So "type A" can be used as an adjective or a countable noun. Am l right?

Thank you both. :)

If you don't mind, here are two follow-up questions:

Should I use "an 'a'", or simply "a"? I mean, I don't know if a determiner before words, in this case, "a" (word), is necessary.

In the above sentence:

a.
I mean, I don't know if a determiner before words, in this case, "a" (word), is necessary.
b.
I mean, I don't know if the determiner before words, in this case, "a" (word), is necessary.

Which one should I use? What different effects exist between them?

To answer your question in the OP, 1. is a correct interpretation.

To answer you questions in post #5 (if I understand them correctly):

1. It depends. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

2. a.

The difference between indefinite and definite articles is the kind reference.

Thank you, jutfrank. :)

To answer you questions in post #5 (if I understand them correctly):

2. a.

The difference between indefinite and definite articles is the kind reference.
Did you mean to say the kind of reference?

Can I say that "a determiner" rather than "the determiner" should be used, because we are not specifying any specific determiner?

Did you mean to say the kind of reference?

You should get a job as a proofreader.

Sometimes I like to throw in deliberate errors, just to keep you on your toes.

Can I say that "a determiner" rather than "the determiner" should be used, because we are not specifying any specific determiner?

That's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back