Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I know a little boy who was once a student of mine. He picked the word "stone" as his English name. At that time he was only six years old so I thought, well, it was okay to use that word as one's English name. Now, Stone is 15 and he decided to use another English name, Mike.

I wrote the sentence "He used to be called Stone and now Mike".

Is the sentence natural? If not, please help me with a better one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a little boy who was once [Nine years ago,] A six-year-old student of mine He picked the word "Stone" as his English name. At that time he was only six years old so I thought, well, it was okay to use that word as one's English name. Now, Stone is 15 Now he's fifteen and he has decided to use another English name - Mike.

I wrote the sentence "He used to be called Stone and but now he's [called] Mike".

Is the sentence natural? If not, please help me with a better one.
See above. So much of that post was waffle! It's irrelevant that you thought it was OK for him to use the word as his name. It might have been comment-worthy if you'd tried to tell him not to use it.

Stone recently changed his name to Mike.
"Used to be called" doesn't necessarily mean he chose his name, which he did.

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back