[General] He thinks that I'm here just to show off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to an English meet-up in a university. All of the participants were students except me. In the middle of the activity, a man was mad at me and left after saying rude things to me. Someone later came up to me and asked why the man did that, I said "He thinks that I'm here just to show off".

Is the italic sentence natural? The man thinks that I went there to show off my English but I didn't. My English is not good at all.

I went to an English meet-up in a university. All of the participants, except me, were students. [STRIKE]except me.[/STRIKE] In the middle of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] an activity (or "In the middle of the evening"), a man [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] got mad at me and left after saying rude things to me. Someone later came up to me and asked why [STRIKE]the man did[/STRIKE] he had done that. I said "He [STRIKE]thinks[/STRIKE] thought that I'm here just to show off".

Is the italic sentence natural? The man [strike]thinks[/strike] thought that I went there to show off my English but I didn't. My English is not good at all.

See my corrections above. Your italic sentence is OK with the change of tense. The man has left so you can comment only on what you believe he thought when he had his weird tantrum, not what he might be thinking now.

What a strange man! I wonder what made him think you were trying to show off. Perhaps your English is just better than his and he was jealous!

I wonder what made him think you were trying to show off. Perhaps your English is just better than his and he was jealous!

Hmm, I've met many people like that young man. There are many weird things among English learners here. They like using complicated and pompous words and phrases. They speak very fast but totally unnatural English. They are jealous of people who are better than them.

My spoken English is only a 5 in IELTS speaking section. :oops:

Silver, is that on a scale of one to ten? Or something else?

My spoken English is only a 5 in IELTS speaking section. :oops:

I've got a pretty good idea of your level of spoken English, Silver (remember that long voice message you once left me?), and I can tell you you're capable of getting higher than 5. If you're only getting 5, then it must be down to the way you're doing the tasks, rather than your grammar and vocab.

Silver, is that on a scale of one to ten? Or something else?

It's on a scale of 1 to 9.

5 is roughly equivalent to a low intermediate level.

I've got a pretty good idea of your level of spoken English, Silver (remember that long voice message you once left me?), and I can tell you you're capable of getting higher than 5. If you're only getting 5, then it must be down to the way you're doing the tasks, rather than your grammar and vocab.

Thank you so much for your kind words, jutfrank. Again, thank you so much for helping me with my English, especially when sometimes I was a bit annoying. Thanks a lot for your patience.

I have never taken the IELTS test but I have some "workbooks", Cambridge English Offical, for example. I talked to many people who took that test and I tried to make a comparison between us. I think 6 is the top score I'll get, at best. :)

Yes, Silver, I heard your voice on a recording once, too. Your spoken English is good. You can probably do better than a five.

Tests make me nervous. Maybe you're the same way.

I believe you can get higher than 6 or 7. I took the IELTS exam a few years ago and got 7 in the speaking part. Your English is stronger than mine (not me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back