He rents out his apartment, shop etc" or "He has rented out his apartment, shop etc"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
He rents out his apartment, shop etc" or "He has rented out his apartment, shop etc"

If someone gives their apartment, shop, room etc on rent to someone then we say "He rents out his apartment, shop etc" or "He has rented out his apartment, shop etc". But if someone "lives on rent" then we say say "He has rented his apartment" or "He rents his apartment". Am I correct? We can also say "He runs a rented shop". Is it correct?

Re: He rents out his apartment, shop etc" or "He has rented out his apartment, shop e

We don't say that someone "lives on rent". Where did you see that?

Re: He rents out his apartment, shop etc" or "He has rented out his apartment, shop e

By "lives on rent", I think he means a person depends on the rent he collects for living expenses.

He runs a rented shop - He operates his business from a rented shop/rented premises.

I suppose you could say somebody runs a rented shop. (I don't know when it would come up, but who knows?)

We don't say that someone "lives on rent". Where did you see that?

Its mine. I meant "He lives in the rented accommodation".

Tufguy, I can't imagine anybody saying that. You live in a house or an apartment, not a "rented accommodation". Please don't use that again.

It's mine. I meant "He lives in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] rented accommodation".

That's not what it means.

If someone gives their apartment, shop, room etc on rent to someone then we say "He rents out his apartment, shop etc" or "He has rented out his apartment, shop etc". But if someone "lives on rent" then we say say "He has rented his apartment" or "He rents his apartment". Am I correct? We can also say "He runs a rented shop". Is it correct?

I have some time today, so let's unpack this.

"He rents his apartment" is ambiguous mostly because here we are forced to try to understand this sentence as a stand-alone. Usually, context will make it quite clear. There are two situations possible with apartments and rent:
A. He owns an apartment but he does not live there. Some other person pays money to him so they can live there.
B. Some other person owns the apartment but they don't live there. He pays money to them so he can live there.

We refer to the place where he lives as 'his apartment' even though he does not own it, the same way we refer to a car's tires. We add the word out so it's clear we mean A above.

1. He has rented his apartment clearly means only A.
1a. He has rented an apartment means B even though now we may talk about going to visit him in his apartment.
2. He rents his apartment can mean equally A or B. We call it 'his' apartment whether he pays rent or collects rent.

There is a problem when we talk about the word shop. As a noun, it can mean either of two very different things:
X. A small retail establishment: a fruit shop, a dress shop, a coffee shop.
Y. A commercial establishment for the making or repair of goods or machinery: a machine shop, a woodworking shop, an auto repair shop, etc.

We do not rent X. We rent a retail space or a storefront which can be any kind of a store or an office or storage space, etc. Once the business is established, then we may refer to it as a shop, but it is the fitting and stocking of the space that makes it a shop.

It is possible to rent Y if I comes fully fitted out with the machinery to do that activity or run that business, but that is comparatively rare. It's possible also to rent space in X or Y but again, that's not common.

It is possible to "live on (the) rent" of an apartment, but once again, it's fairly rare. One would have to own an apartment that would command rent higher than the cost of living in the place where one actually lives to generate positive income. There would be no financial benefit to paying to live one place and collect equal (or less) rent on another. Such situations do occur due to logistical issues, but the owner is not 'living on rent'.

There is a problem when we talk about the word shop. As a noun, it can mean either of two very different things:
X. A small retail establishment: a fruit shop, a dress shop, a coffee shop.
Y. A commercial establishment for the making or repair of goods or machinery: a machine shop, a woodworking shop, an auto repair shop, etc.

That issue does not occur in British English. A shop is only X. Y is a workshop/garage.

That issue does not occur in British English. A shop is only X. Y is a workshop/garage.

Fine, but you haven't really answered the OP. Do you (in BrE) 'rent a shop' or do you rent a space and start a shop in that space? If I want to establish my law practice in a place that used to be a store that sold greeting cards, do I "rent a shop?"

In the UK, we usually lease a shop.

In the UK, we usually lease a shop.

Yes, that's what we might say, but J&K's point still stands—it's not technically the shop that we lease but rather the space. Using it as a shop is what we do with it.

We do not rent X. We rent a retail space or a storefront which can be any kind of a store or an office or storage space, etc. Once the business is established, then we may refer to it as a shop, but it is the fitting and stocking of the space that makes it a shop.

In American English, shop space facing a street is often (somewhat illogically) called a storefront.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back