Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
What's the difference between the synonyms almost, virtually, nearly and practically?

For example, in the below sentence, which I made up, what would you put and why?

He looked at me with a/an almost/virtually/nearly/practically sadistic smile.

I think the sentence sounds more natural without any of the adverbs.

Well, the "why" questions are always hardest. If I had to pick one I'd go with "almost". However, I wouldn't use any of them. (What does an almost sadistic smile look like?)

I would say something like:

He had an evil grin on his face.

Well, the "why" questions are always hardest. If I had to pick one I'd go with "almost". However, I wouldn't use any of them. (What does an almost sadistic smile look like?)
Well, on Google Books, many authors seem to use almost sadistic smile, but no one uses the other synonyms. But I still want to know why. Can somebody please explain?

What's the difference between the synonyms almost, virtually, nearly and practically?
I would not say that virtually and practically were synonyms of almost.

Yes, I know they they appear in lists of synonyms, but I find such lists unhelpful. They appear to give learners the impression that such 'synonyms' are interchangeable. They ry rarely are.

I would not say that virtually and practically were synonyms of almost.

Yes, I know they they appear in lists of synonyms, but I find such lists unhelpful. They appear to give learners the impression that such 'synonyms' are interchangeable. They ry rarely are.
Can you please tell me how they are different?

Try looking up the definitions in three or four dictionaries at www.onelook.com, paying particular attention to the example sentences given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back