Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We say "I am kidding you" or "Are you kidding me" but what do we say when we talk about a third person? Do we say as following?
1) Don't take him seriously. He is kidding you.

2) Don't take him seriously. He is kidding with you.

Do we need to use "With" or not?

Both 1 and 2 are fine. With is optional and doesn't change the meaning. I don"t quite understand the question about not.

Both 1 and 2 are fine. With is optional and doesn't change the meaning. I don"t quite understand the question about not.
I think tufguy is asking whether 'with' is mandatory, which you already clarified.

My advice is free. So you might want to take that into consideration.
😀

I'm sure "you" is used occasionally, but it's not necessary. (See below. )

1. I'm kidding!*
2. Are you kidding?**
3. I'm just kidding.
-----------------------------------------------
*An emoji is often used in place of that nowadays.
**The "me" is often used for emphasis. Are you kidding me - "You must be joking" or "You can't be serious".

The reason the price of free advice is so low is that the supply far exceeds the demand.😉

(That"s not original. I read it somewhere.)

tufguy

Don't add "or not" at the end of a sentence. It doesn't add anything to a sentence and is unnatural in written English.

Last edited:
tufguy

Don't add "or not" at the end of a sentence. It doesn't add anything to a sentence and is unnatural in written English.

It's an extremely common and completely natural way of adding emphasis to the question. There's nothing wrong with it.

Here are roughly a thousand examples.

It's an extremely common and completely natural way of adding emphasis to the question. There's nothing wrong with it.

Here are roughly a thousand examples.
Yes, it is used for emphasis, but is hardly necessarily in the original sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back