Greece
Current Location
Greece
"So I was like--"
"Get to the point," he interrupted her.

or

"So I was like --"

When I use a dash to signify interrupted speech, is it wrong to put space between the dash and the last word? This question came up in THIS thread. That person (herendethelesson) said it is wrong, but I want more opinions.

I prefer the second one, but I don't use a style guide.

Hello bejemirun, and welcome to the forum. Since this is a language forum, always write in complete sentences and use proper capitalization and punctuation.

By the way, is your mother tongue really English? If not, kindly correct your profile information.

I prefer the second one, but I don't use a style guide.
Bonus question: Do you also prefer space when one is interrupted before finishing a word?

E.g. "Don't take off your coa --" or "Don't take off your coa--"?

"So I was like--"

or

"So I was like --"

When I use a dash to signify interrupted speech, is it wrong to put a space between the last word and the dash? and the last word? This question came up in THIS thread. That person (herendethelesson) said it is wrong, but I want more opinions.

Note my changes above. It makes more sense to say "the last word and the dash" (rather than the other way round) because the last word comes before the dash.
I see that the answer on Reddit recommended using an em-dash, not two en-dashes. However, I am aware that getting most computer keyboards to do the former is a bit of a struggle for most people. Also, I would use an ellipsis there, but I don't use a style guide either. If I had to choose, I'd go with the space to avoid anyone thinking that the dash is a hyphen.

Short explanation: I like it. Long explanation: the comma sets off "like" as filler; the em dash is nonbastardized; the em dash on the second line exhibits the interruption; and the deletion of "her" allows the clause of attribution not to be read as an independent clause blunderingly attached to the quotation as a run-on.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the space to avoid anyone thinking that the dash is a hyphen.
Does that also answer Post #5?

Bonus question: Do you also prefer space when one is interrupted before finishing a word?

E.g. "Don't take off your coa --" or "Don't take off your coa--"?

No, don't use a space there. The point of the dash is that it abruptly cuts the word short.

No, don't use a space there. The point of the dash is that it abruptly cuts the word short.
So, all in all, I can use a space except when a word is cut short. Have I got it right?

How about

How about
Are you sure an ellipsis can be used to signify an interruption/sudden stop?

Edit: HERE it says that em-dashes are used for interruption.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back