Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
On the Bubble
Definition: One of a group that may be selected for the last spot in a competition, rising to stardom.
Example: “The team is on the bubble—there are three other teams that might make the finals.”

===============================
Contrary to the meaning of "on the bubble" here, "거품(bubble)" in Korean can mean "immateriality" or "emptiness" as in "He/His capability is a bubble".
Do you have an idiom to say this kind of incapable state of someone?

I'd never heard it until today.

If you were a basketball fan (especially NCAA basketball) you would know that stuff.

Go Tar Heels!
:)

If you were a basketball fan (especially NCAA basketball) you would know that stuff.

No offence, but basketball has always passed me by.

Go Tar Heels!
:)
What about these? Maybe these are what I'm looking for.

He/His capability is frothy/hollow/nominal.

Last edited:
What about these? Maybe these are what I'm looking for.

He/His capability isfrothy/hollow/nominal.

No.

I don't think you're going to find a suitable word that completes His capability is ... with the sense you're looking for. The closest I can think of is lacking.

No.

I don't think you're going to find a suitable word that completes His capability is ... with the sense you're looking for. The closest I can think of is lacking.

Thanks. Why do you think these don't fit here?

Thanks. Why do you think these don't fit here?

Because they don't say what you mean.

Where did you get those words from? A translator? It's generally a bad idea to try to translate descriptive language from Korean to English. Don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back