Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if expectation a countable or an uncountable noun in the following context?

• He had more expectation of his sister Matilda grieving for him, even though her previous admiration had been tainted and diminished in recent months.

I found the above sentence sentence on the Internet. Shouldn't the word "expectation" have been in plural.

• We all have more expectation of death than life.

This my own sentence. Is this correct?

• My father had no more expectation of hearing that I was alive ; but he received my letter a few days before he left London.

Does "no more" means "anymore" in the above context? I mean does it mean "My father did not had expectation anymore of hearing that I was alive......"

• Adriana had no more expectation than Joshua did that her brother would allow Miranda to escape his protection.

I found this on the internet. I don't understand the meaning. Shouldn't the word "expectation " have been plural in the above sentence?

Last edited:
That's a lot of questions.
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if expectation is a countable or an uncountable noun in the following context?

• He had more expectation of his sister Matilda grieving for him, even though her previous admiration had been tainted and diminished in recent months.

It's countable.

I found the above sentence sentence on the Internet. Shouldn't the word "expectation" have been in plural.

• We all have more expectation of death than life.

I don't understand what that means.

This my own sentence. Is this correct?

• My father had no more expectation of hearing that I was alive(no space); but he received my letter a few days before he left London.

Yes. You could also say: My father had no expectation anymore of hearing that I was alive.

Does "no more" means "anymore" in the above context?

No.

I mean does it mean "My father did not have any expectation anymore of hearing that I was alive......"

Yes, as corrected.

• Adriana had no more expectation than Joshua did that her brother would allow Miranda to escape his protection.

I found this on the internet. I don't understand the meaning.

Joshua didn't expect it, and Adriana's expectation was no greater than Joshua's. In other words, she didn't expect it, either.

Shouldn't the word "expectation " have been plural in the above sentence?

No, it's fine as-is. She didn't expect it. She had no expectation of it.
Look up anymore and any more. You'll see why anymore doesn't fit and no more is correct.

In all four examples, expectation appears to be used as an uncountable noun.

In all four examples, expectation appears to be used as an uncountable noun.
In that first one, "He had more expectation of his sister," To me, the word more says that it's countable. So I'd think that it's countable and should be pluralized: more expectations.

No? Maybe it works either way - as a countable or uncountable.

Last edited:
In that first one, "He had more expectation of his sister," To me, the word more says that it's countable. So I'd think that it's countable and should be pluralized: more expectations.

No? Maybe it works either way - as a countable or uncountable.

Yes, I suppose it could work as a countable noun, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back