Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are these good?

1. He became a heroin addict. He came from work to get high, injecting the nights away.

2. He became a cocaine addict. He came from work to get high, sniffing the afternoons away.

3. He became a pot addict. He came from work to get high, smoking the afternoons away.

Are these good?

1. He became a heroin addict. He came home from work to get high, injecting [or shooting] the nights away.

2. He became a cocaine addict. He came home from work to get high, snorting the afternoons away. [Sniffing sounds old-fashioned.]

3. He became a pothead. He came home from work to get high, smoking the afternoons away.
Yes, they are.

The changes I made make them much more natural.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about this?

He became a heroin addict. He came home from work to get high, injecting the nights away until sleep took him.

Those last four words don't seem necessary. They're already implied.

For me, "injecting the nights away" suggests that he did it all night and, therefore, didn't get any sleep!

sniffing the afternoons away.

We use snort for powders like powdered drugs, and sniff for liquid ones like glue or poppers where people inhale the vapours.

Doesn't heroin make you sleep? Morphine is named after the Greek god of sleep.

Unlike 2 and 3, I don't think 1 works at all. You can't 'inject the night away' if what you're injecting is heroin. For a start, you'll only be injecting every four or five hours or so, in between long stretches of very sleep-like inactivity.

Luckily, I can do long stretches of very sleep-like activity without help.

The phrase "snorting the night away" kind of sounds like fun. (I'm not going to try it.)

The phrase "snorting the night away" kind of sounds like fun. (I'm not going to try it.)

Yes. Discretion is advised. Don't try this at home. :)

Or anywhere.

Learning English is my heroin. So I don't need to snort the nights away.:)

But you may go to bed a little later. ;-)

I have to get my fix of UE every day.
And I always have something to say.
:)

But when it come to the hard stuff, I say nay

I'll answer every question, so bring it!
When it comes to the hard stuff I wing it.
;-)

It all happens so easily. You start off thinking "Well, it's just one little question about the present continuous. What harm can it do?" Next thing you know it's 4 a.m. and you're desperately trying to explain the upper-ontological modality of quasi-auxiliary verbs in depth-charge sentences. Slippery slope.

I blame Tdol.

That last sentence made my head spin.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back