Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi , I have a question. instead of saying " have you ever seen this? " , can we day " already seen?"
thanks

Hi. I have a question. Instead of saying "Have you ever seen this?", can we day say "Have you already seen this?"
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Please note my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:
- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun).
- End every sentence with an appropriate closing punctuation mark. Closing punctuation marks are a full stop, a question mark or an exclamation mark.
- Don't put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Don't put a space after opening quotation marks.
- Don't put a space before closing quotation marks.

I have added more words to your suggested revision. I'm sure you know that "already seen" can't possibly be an alternative version of "Have you ever seen this?" I have also extended your thread title so that it is unique.

Both sentences are grammatical but they don't mean the same thing. Context would dictate which one you need.

In future, remember that you don't need to say "Thanks" in your post. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the 🙏 icon, which you can find by hovering your cursor over "Like" in the bottom right-hand corner of all responses.

Welcome to the forum.

Please note my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:
- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun).
- End every sentence with an appropriate closing punctuation mark. Closing punctuation marks are a full stop, a question mark or an exclamation mark.
- Don't put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Don't put a space after opening quotation marks.
- Don't put a space before closing quotation marks.

I have added more words to your suggested revision. I'm sure you know that "already seen" can't possibly be an alternative version of "Have you ever seen this?" I have also extended your thread title so that it is unique.

Both sentences are grammatical but they don't mean the same thing. Context would dictate which one you need.

In future, remember that you don't need to say "Thanks" in your post. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the 🙏 icon, which you can find by hovering your cursor over "Like" in the bottom right-hand corner of all responses.
Thanks for your note. Thank you, but I meant exactly phrase "Already seen?".

"I've already seen that" is definitely possible. Don't assume it means the same thing as the other one though.

Hi , I have a question. instead of saying " have you ever seen this? " , can we day " already seen?"
thanks
Not if you want to express the same meaning. I'd use the second question when, say, asking someone to the cinema but am not sure if they have seen the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back