Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
5824A42A-2AC1-4A5D-A048-A1F4D567AFC7.jpg
I have questions about ”until November 29”.
When I put it in the middle of the sentence, it means after November 29. When I say “… have to enforce the rules until November 29”, it means before November 29. Am I right?

Misunderstanding "until" is one of the most common errors I see from non-native users.

The businesses must be enforcing the rule on November 29. They can enforce it earlier. On or after that date, they will be in violation if they are not enforcing it.

When I put it in the middle of the sentence, it means "after November 29". No it doesn't.

When I say “… have to enforce the rules until November 29”, it means before November 29. Am I right?
No. Wherever it is in the sentence, "until November 29" means "up to and including November 29".

I think he's questioning the use of "have until xx to do this" vs "have to do this until xx."

You have to do this until November 29th = You have to start doing this now and continue doing it until November 29th
You have until November 29th to do this = You must do this at any point between now and November 29th (it might only take you 30 seconds to do "this")

I think the original sentence is not correct. Business don't enforce the rules; the authorities do. Businesses are given time to comply with the new rules, and the deadline is 29 November.

How about:

Businesses have until 29 November to comply with the rules before they are enforced.

I think the original sentence is not correct. Businesses don't enforce the rules; the authorities do. Businesses are given time to comply with the new rules, and the deadline is 29 November.

How about the following?

Businesses have until 29 November to comply with the rules before they are enforced. No. See below.

Businesses will be required to enforce the rule that anyone who isn't vaccinated can't enter the premises. The authorities have set that rule and each business then has to enforce it, presumably by putting up signs explaining the rule, and training staff in checking vaccination status and granting/refusing people entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back