Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
STAGE MANAGER : ....
Some babies that weren't born before have begun talking regular sentences already; and a number of people who thought they were right young and spry have noticed that they can't bound up a flight of stairs like they used to, without their hearts fluttering a little.
Some older sons are sitting at the head of the table, and some people I know are having their meat cut up for them.
(Thornton Wilder, Our Town)

Hello all,
What verb form is cut in the sentence given? I think it's past participle. But then, why is it needed to add for them here? Wouldn't it suffice to just say some people are having their meat cut up ?
I much appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it suffice to just say some people are having their meat cut up ?
It wouldn't. When you say "their meat cut up for them", it's clear that it refers to meat on their plates, served for a meal, and not meat they're buying from somewhere.

That sentence, following on from the ideas expressed earlier, means that some people have become old enough that they need their meals served in a way that's easier to eat, which could include someone else cutting up their meat into small pieces for them. You could also take it as meaning that they are unable to take care of themselves, and they need someone to help them.

As a side note, it's incorrect to put in a space before the closing punctuation mark. (I'm referring to the quoted question.)

Last edited:
What verb form is cut in the sentence given? I think it's past participle.
Yes, that's right. Grammatically, it can only be in the past participle form.

It wouldn't. When you say "their meat cut up for them", it's clear that it refers to meat on their plates, served for a meal, and not meat they're buying from somewhere.
In my opinion having their meat cut up already expresses that their meat is cut up for them. You don't say I have my hair cut for me either - you say I have my hair cut - and that's that! I can't see why for them is desperately needed here. Maybe it's for emphasis here.

Last edited:
Most people have their hair cut; this is standard procedure.
Most people cut out their own meat; this is standard procedure. If they can't manage it themselves, they need to have it done for them.

and that's that! I can't see why for them is desperately needed here.
That's not that in this case. You may not be able to see why it's needed, but that's how that idea is normally expressed. It's standard idiomatic English.

If those words had read "Some people are having their meat cut (up)", it'd have sounded like a reference to a customer at a butcher's.

Yes, even if there was no "for them", readers would still figure out from the context that it means "cut up for them on their plate" but the point I'm making is that "for them" is normal usage to express that meaning. The "for them" is the usual way to explain that those people are receiving help to do something they'd normally do themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back