Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello!I would like to have some advice, please! In the following sentence I have to choose the right verb form:
"You HAVE DRUNK/ HAVE BEEN DRINKING three coffees since I HAVE SAT/ HAVE BEEN SITTING here." (from a grammar exercise)
I'd say HAVE DRUNK - HAVE SAT. Do you agree? Thanks a lot in advance!

sorry, I've forgot "three coffees"!!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Piscean, but I've forgot tu put "three coffees": what would you suggest now? Many thanks again!

You have drunk three coffees in the time I've been sitting here.

If the other person has finished their third coffee, I would say "You have drunk three coffees while I've been sitting here."

I find the use of "since" with the perfect continuous rather unnatural. If I wanted to use "since", I would say "You have drunk three coffees since I sat down".

Thank you so much, emsr2d2, piscean and Barb_D! I suppose there must an error in the text of the exercise! :-D

If the other person has finished their third coffee, I would say "You have drunk three coffees while I've been sitting here."

I find the use of "since" with the perfect continuous rather unnatural. If I wanted to use "since", I would say "You have drunk three coffees since I sat down".

:up: (It's not in the spirit of the exercise, as it avoids the use of a verb [a good way of not making mistakes, if you can get away with it :)], but in many contexts, rather than 'You have drunk three coffees', you could just say 'That's your third!')

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back