[Grammar] Have or has ?

• Thread starter kbump
  • Start date
  • Views : 16,995
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kbump

Would you say "have knowledge" or "has knowledge" in this sentence?

This is a communication area we need to work on to assure each of us have knowledge of new products prior to their launch.

each of us = One person out of us. So, you should use "has".

Would you say "have knowledge" or "has knowledge" in this sentence?

This is a communication area we need to work on to assure each of us have knowledge of new products prior to their launch.

Hello I am not a teacher,

I agree with Euncu. Maybe if you have use every instead of each you can use the verb in have form.

See you later.

Maybe if you have use every instead of each you can use the verb in have form.

I guess, you meant to say "all"

...all of us have...
...every one of us has...

I guess, you meant to say "all"

...all of us have...
...every one of us has...

Hi Euncu,

No, I am not sure but I think we can write the following phrase: ...every one of us have...

I believe have is nice in this case, because when you use the word every the sense is more approaching the sense of all. Do you follow me?

Best,

I disagree, The French.
Everyone (or every one - as you wish) = Singular.
That means has applies to each and every.

Every single person has problems.
Each of us has good knowledge.

Cheers!

When 'each' is followed by an of phrase containing a plural noun or pronoun, there is a tendency for the verb to be plural: Each of the candidates has (or have) spoken on the issue. Some usage guides maintain that only the singular verb is correct, but plural verbs occur frequently even in edited writing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Each?r=66

When 'each' is followed by an of phrase containing a plural noun or pronoun, there is a tendency for the verb to be plural: Each of the candidates has (or have) spoken on the issue. Some usage guides maintain that only the singular verb is correct, but plural verbs occur frequently even in edited writing.

Each Definition | Definition of Each at Dictionary.com

Hi Kondorosi,

Some people think that only the singular form is right in this case but you wrote (or you have written?) the plural is often used. My answer about the use of the plural form is good therefore we can employ the both ones. Indeed and notwithstanding all these answers he seems to me that the singular form is more 'academic'.:-D

Cordially,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back