Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In my understanding, "a" before breakfast is unnecessary in the following sentence.
1) They had breakfast at the hotel.

Is the following sentence is acceptable, too, if it means that they each had a simple breakfast at the hotel?
2) They had a breakfast at the hotel.

In my understanding, "a" before breakfast is unnecessary in the following sentence. Yes, it is unnecessary.
1) They had breakfast at the hotel.

Is the following sentence is acceptable, too, if it means that they each had a simple breakfast at the hotel? It doesn't matter if they had a simple breakfast or an elaborate breakfast.
2) They had a breakfast at the hotel. This sentence would okay be in a circumstance like the following.

A...Did they have any meals at the hotel?
B...I think they had a couple of lunches there.
C...No, they never had lunch at the hotel. They had (a)(one) breakfast at the hotel.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, 2006.
May I ask you another question related to the title?

According to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, "a light breakfast (=small breakfast)."

Does this mean it is okay to say, "I had small breakfast this morning" or should I say, "I had a small breakfast this morning."?

Thank you very much, 2006.
May I ask you another question related to the title?

According to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, "a light breakfast (=small breakfast)."

Does this mean it is okay to say, "I had small breakfast this morning" or should I say, "I had a small breakfast this morning."?
You should say "a small breakfast". When you modify "breakfast" with one or more adjectives, you should add "a".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back