JEic

Member Type
Native Language
Cantonese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
1) Although my uncle has died ten years ago, I still miss him very much.
2) Although my uncle had died ten years ago, I still miss him very much.
3) Although my uncle died ten years ago, I still miss him very much.

To practice correct usage of perfect tenses, I wonder are both (1) and (2) correct, but have different meanings due to the present perfect and past perfect tenses used?

Is (3) correct? If simple present "died" is incorrect, why?

I'd only use 3. Not 1 or 2.

Another option is "Although my uncle has been dead ten years, I still miss him [very much]".

1) Although My uncle has died; ten years ago, I still miss him very much.
2) Although my uncle had died ten years ago earlier, I still missed him very much.
3) Although my uncle died ten years ago, I still miss him very much.

To practice I'm practising the correct usage of perfect tenses, and I wonder are if both (1) and (2) are correct, but have different meanings due to the present perfect and past perfect tenses used.

Is (3) correct? If the simple present "died" is incorrect, why?
I have made changes to sentences #1 and #2 above to show you what the rest of the sentence would need to be in order to open with the tenses you used in them.

A spelling note- I'm practicing is correct in American English- the -s spelling of the verb is British.

That's right.

BE verb - practise; noun - practice

AE - both verb and noun - practice

Similarly, license/licence and advise/advice

Tip on deciding which spelling to use: advise and advice have different pronunciations.

Tip on deciding which spelling to use: advise and advice have different pronunciations.
Another one is prophesy (verb: [ˈprɑfəˌsaɪ]) versus prophecy (noun: [ˈprɑfəsi]). American English observes the difference in spelling with license and licence, and the difference in both spelling and pronunciation with advise and advice, and with prophesy and prophecy. But it's true: practice is just practice to us.

I have made changes to sentences #1 and #2 above to show you what the rest of the sentence would need to be in order to open with the tenses you used in them.

2) Although my uncle had died ten years ago earlier, I still missed him very much.

Using "ago" is wrong? Why?

X years ago refers to a time before now. This does not work with a past perfect form.
Sorry that I don't understand why "a time before now" does not work with a past perfect form. Please help me to understand.

ten years ago - ten years before now (the present time)

If you want to talk about something that happened ten years before something in the past use the past perfect

That's right.

BE verb - practise; noun - practice

AE - both verb and noun - practice

Similarly, license/licence and advise/advice

Americans use "advice" as the noun and "advise" as the verb.

People saying "advice me" in emails (from non-native speakers) is one of my pet peeves.

ten years ago - ten years before now (the present time)

If you want to talk about something that happened ten years before something in the past use the past perfect
I am so sorry. I still don't understand the difference between 'ten years ago' and 'ten years earlier'.

Hence, although I read the words but I have no understanding of your explanation. How can I understand your explanation:
"If you want to talk about something that happened ten years before something in the past use the past perfect"

Thank you.

X years ago refers to a time before now. This does not work with a past perfect form.
Can you give me examples of "X years ago" and "X years earlier" with the correct tenses? I'm trying very hard to understand. Thank you.

What is the difference between "ten years ago" and "ten years earlier" in this context?

I am so sorry. I still don't understand the difference between 'ten years ago' and 'ten years earlier'.

Hence, although I read the words but I have no understanding of your explanation. How can I understand your explanation:
"If you want to talk about something that happened ten years before something in the past use the past perfect"
In 1990 we had been married for ten years.

What is the difference between "ten years ago" and "ten years earlier" in this context?
We got married ten years ago. ("Ago" refers to a time before now.)
We moved to this house in 2010. We had got married ten years earlier. ("Earlier" refers to 2010 - we married in 2000.)

"Ten years ago" is a specific point in time from now. Ten years ago from 2023 is 2013.
"Ten years earlier" is a point in time relative to a time in the past. In 2020, ten years earlier is 2010.

A spelling note- I'm practicing is correct in American English- the -s spelling of the verb is British
Just to add on a little bit on this, I found an article that explains these 2 terms in more details, here's the article: [ EXTERNAL LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lemona, and welcome.
Note that I have removed the link in your post.
Also, please correct the info on your profile page.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back