Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

This sentence was written by a friend of mine who is a non-native speaker. I want to know if the underlined word has been used correctly. I am not looking for alternatives or other ways. I just need to know if it's correct.

I believe the burden of teaching children moral values falls on parents. Schools cannot have as much influence on a child as their caregivers.

In fact, caregiver has been used as a substitute for parents.

I thought caregiver is a temporary situation. That is why I'm asking.

In that context I would not consider parents as caregivers.

Hello.

This sentence was written by a friend of mine who is a non-native speaker. I want to know if the underlined word has been used correctly. I am not looking for alternatives or other ways. I just need to know if it's correct.

I believe the burden of teaching children moral values falls on parents. Schools cannot have as much influence on a child as their caregivers.

In fact, caregiver has been used as a substitute for parents.

I think of being a caregiver as a temporary situation. That is why I'm asking.

Two things. One, if parents are not caregivers then what are they? Two, if parents are caregivers then it is not a temporary situation. (It is not a permanent situation either.)

In the example, "caregiver" is used stylistically to avoid the repetition of "parent" in successive sentences. A native speaker would simply interpret it as a synonym for "parent".

In other contexts "caregiver" can encompass both temporary and permanent care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think caregiver is used to avoid repetition in contexts like this but rather as an umbrella term to include those other than parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back