Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Background: Miss Daisy was the kids’ teacher. She pretended that she couldn’t solve a math problem, but the kids didn’t realize that and they tried to explain it to her.

Nothing worked. Miss Daisy had to be the dumbest teacher in the history of the world! No matter how many times we tried to explain, she kept shaking her head.

Source: Miss Daisy Is Crazy, a novel for kids, by Dan Gutman

I think “Miss Daisy had to be the dumbest teacher in the history of the world” means “Miss Daisy must have been the dumbest teacher in the history of the world”.
Am I right?

Background: Miss Daisy [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is the kids’ teacher. She [STRIKE]pretended[/STRIKE] pretends that she [STRIKE]couldn’t[/STRIKE] can't solve a math problem, but the kids [STRIKE]didn’t[/STRIKE] don't realize that and [STRIKE]they tried[/STRIKE] try to explain it to her.
….

I think “Miss Daisy had to be the dumbest teacher in the history of the world” means “Miss Daisy must have been the dumbest teacher in the history of the world”.
Am I right?
Yes. Your narrative calls for the historical present tense. The simple past is not natural.

I don't agree with the earlier responses.

The narrator is telling us about past-time situations. The past tense is natural in all the verbs I have underlined ….

I didn't mean to suggest that the author should have used the historical present. The OP should have used it in their introductory text that sets the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back