Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.
Two threads ago, I posted the following sentence expressed in two ways.
It was the second guest meeting to have taken place on the premises of shipyard X. OR It was the second guest meeting that had taken place on the premises of shipyard X.
The sentence that followed the previous one is "The previous one (that is meeting) had taken place in April of 2015".
Do you think "The previous one (that is meeting) had taken place in April of 2015" is properly expressed or should it be ""The previous one (that is meeting) took place in April of 2015"?
What is your opinion?
Thank you.

Perhaps you have been waiting for a response because your question is a little confusing! Let me try it this way:

1. It was the second guest meeting to have taken place on the premises of shipyard X. The previous one had taken place in April of 2015.

2. It was the second guest meeting that had taken place on the premises of shipyard X. The previous one had taken place in April of 2015.

3. It was the second guest meeting to have taken place on the premises of shipyard X. The previous one took place in April of 2015.

4. It was the second guest meeting that had taken place on the premises of shipyard X. The previous one took place in April of 2015.

In my opinion they are all acceptable, but also all a bit too wordy. I suggest:
It was the second guest meeting at shipyard X. The previous meeting at shipyard X was in April 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back