Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"The grievance department opens from 1 PM to 5 PM."

"You want to file a grievance (can we also use "make a complaint here instead of file a grievance?") then you should call them 1 PM to 5 PM."

"They open from 1 PM to 5 PM."

Please reply.

"The grievance department opens from 1 PM to 5 PM." It's OK but I would probably use "... is open from 1pm to 5pm".

"If you want to file a grievance (can we also use "make a complaint" here instead of "file a grievance"?) then you should call them between 1 PM [strike]to[/strike] and 5 PM."

"They are open from 1 PM to 5 PM."

[strike]Please reply.[/strike] Unnecessary.

See above. It's more natural to use "open" as an adjective rather than a verb when you are talking about the hours of operation. We tend to use "open" as a verb only when we are talking about the time they first open their doors for the day.

The shop opens at 9am. (opens = verb)
The shop is open from 9am to 5pm. (open = adjective)

The department opens at 1pm. (opens = verb)
The department is open between 1pm and 5pm. (open = adjective)

Yes, it would actually me more natural to say "make/lodge a complaint" than to say "file a grievance". In BrE, it would also be more likely to be called a "complaints department".

"The complaints department is open from 1pm to 5pm. They are open from 1pm to 5pm."

The only place I would hear "file a grievance" is in a union labor environment.

NOT A TEACHER

Here in the United States, if one had a complaint, one would probably contact "customer relations."

In the UK, there might be a "Complaints Department" or simply a "Customer Services" department. In the first instance, we would probably contact "Customer Services" but they might then pass us on to the Complaints Department, if one exists in that company.

I've never heard of a Grievance Department, but I can see how they might become more common in a culture with a strong Grievance Industry that thrives on Identity Politics.

I've never heard of a Grievance Department, but I can see how they might become more common in a culture with a strong Grievance Industry that thrives on Identity Politics.

Sorry didn't get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back