Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
I am thinking about raising a formal grievance at my workplace. I drafted a letter, but still have a few days to work on it. I will appreciate any advice from you.

To the HR Department

Re: Grievance – wilful dishonesty and unprofessional behaviour

I write to raise a formal grievance, in accordance with the formal grievance policy, about an incident in which an [company's] employee engaged in unprofessional behaviour and an act of wilful dishonesty towards me. Please take account of the following information.

Facts

Date and time of incident: Friday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] October, c. 01:50 (close to CPT 0200)
Employees involved: LB, KA, P, N, H.

1. On Thursday 20[SUP]th[/SUP] October I was assigned to fulfil the duties of the Pack PG, a role to which I had been assigned regularly. In my view, I have already gained a certain level of adeptness in this role, and I am more than capable to effectively carry out tasks related to this role. I strive to perform my duties to the best of my ability and consider my performance in this role as satisfactory.

2. One of my main duties was to ‘chase’ the CPT’s and Dwells. At about 01:45 I noticed in the Sorted section of my Kindle device, that there was a shipment in one of the chutes in Wall 1, in the part of the wall that usually contains gift-wrap shipments, that belonged to CPT 0200. The chute was empty. Fortunately, after checking the shipment ID, I realised that the missing item was the one that had been found in the wrong chute by one the packers a few minutes earlier, and, assuming it had been an overage, I had taken this item to Problem Solve station. I took it out of the Problem Solve tote and put it in the right chute, so it was ready to pack.

3. There was only one gift-wrap packer at that time in the person of P. He had already been busy with packing a gift-wrap shipment, so I kindly waited for him to finish doing it. Then, suddenly, KA showed up with an item in his hands, saying that it was for a 0200 CPT and that it needed to be gift-wrapped. He scanned the spoo label at P’s work station, said something to P, and started gift-wrapping the item on a different work station. Then, N (Lead Associate) showed up right at the time when Paul finished packing the shipment, but could not scan the spoo label. Both N and K engaged in a conversation about that spoo label. N knew that I was waiting for the CPT shipment to be packed. Regardless of the fact that the spoo label could not be scanned, N decided to put it on a conveyor belt and performed a hard reset on the computer at the work station at which P was working, in order for him to be able to gift-wrap and pack the CPT shipment that I was waiting for. Time was of critical importance, so after P had quickly packed the item, I immediately took it to the Slam in the shipping area. It was a few minutes before 02:00.

4. Upon coming back from the shipping area, I was stopped by H (the lead associate) at the entrance to Pack Line A, who told me that I had put a wrong label on a box. I was absolutely astonished by that comment. Initially I did not understand what H meant, so I asked, “What are you talking about?”. She then repeated that I had incorrectly labelled a box. She literally said, “You put a wrong label on the box”. I firmly and angrily denied her accusation, and said that she should not blame me for it. My exact words were, “I didn’t do it. Don’t try to blame me for it!”. I turned around and walked away. I realised that someone had lyingly told H that I had been the person who labelled the box incorrectly, notwithstanding that I had been completely uninvolved in the process that lead to the error. I felt very indignant and agitated, and thought it was very unfair of whoever decided to say that and shift the blame onto me. A few minutes later, I approached H and asked her who was the person who provided her with the false, misleading and defamatory information. However, even though she admitted she knew who that person was, she refused to disclose the name of that person and told me not to worry about it.

5. I felt extremely upset about the whole situation, and was not satisfied with the way H had handled it, and decided to discuss it with one of the Area Managers.
…..

Details of breach

6. I contend that in this particular incident, the person who passed the false information about me to H, did so intentionally, and engaged in a conduct that represents a serious breach of the disciplinary policy. It provides, in the section Misconduct, that misconduct includes:

· unprofessional behaviour towards customers, colleagues and suppliers (including any visitors or clients of [the company].

I also contend that the person in question committed an act, that according to section Gross misconduct of the disciplinary policy, falls within the scope of gross misconduct, namely:

· wilful dishonesty;
· any dishonest conduct in connection with the performance of ... duties;
· a serious breach of confidence.

7. I contend that the person who passed the false and misleading information to H, did it deliberately and knowingly. I believe that this act was malicious and ignoble, and the person who committed this act should be reprimanded and disciplined.

Summary

8. I believe that such behaviour is unacceptable, and can very negatively affect the atmosphere and relationships in the workplace. What I found particularly upsetting was that this act of wilful dishonesty, leaving aside its intrinsic wrongfulness, could potentially be very detrimental to my reputation and acts of similar nature, if repeated, could hinder my career development. Ideally, in my opinion, such behaviour should be nipped in the bud. I believe that the company has the means to deter such misconduct and prevent it from reoccurring.

I trust that you will afford this matter your serious attention, and I await your reply as to how you intend to deal with it.

Do you honestly think the incident warrants a response like that? Have you tried to get H to find out why the other employee might have given that incorrect information? Could it have been a simple/unintended mistake? I think you should consider asking/emailing H to resolve it first, and failing that, you might escalate the matter by writing a brief letter to the area manager.

Do you honestly think the incident warrants a response like that? Have you tried to get H to find out why the other employee might have given that incorrect information? Could it have been a simple/unintended mistake? I think you should consider asking/emailing H to resolve it first, and failing that, you might escalate the matter by writing a brief letter to the area manager.

This is just a draft. I will discuss it with my area manager first. One thing is for sure. I am not going to let anyone mess with me like that. This definitely was intentional. I am of the opinion that lengthy complaints that have a lot of 'weight' tend to be taken more seriously. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back