Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
would you please tell me the meaning of the following by readily examples?,and what is the difference between them?
would you possibly give me some example?
even I do not know the difference between them!!
(I am learning English)

Greek word element
latin root

Thanks advanced.

Greek word elements are parts of words that have their origin in ancient Greek. A good example is meta, ancient Greek for about. Metaphysics has acquired a well-established meaning, but people freely apply meta to other things: for instance, meta-data for data about data. Another example is the pair homo and hetero, same and different, which you will find as prefixes in many English words, for example homosexual and heterosexual.

A Latin root is the Latin word from which an English word is derived. For example, pedestrian has the Latin root pedum, foot.

Last edited:
Would you please tell me the meaning of the following [STRIKE]by readily[/STRIKE] using examples?[STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] What is the difference between them?
Would you possibly give me some examples?
Even I do not know the difference between them!
(I am learning English.)

- Greek word element
- Latin root

Thanks in [STRIKE]advanced[/STRIKE] advance.

Please see my amendments to your post. Remember the following rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with one​ appropriate punctuation mark.

would you please tell me the meaning of the following by readily examples?,and what is the difference between them?
would you possibly give me some example?
even I do not know the difference between them!!
(I am learning English)

Greek word element
latin root

Thanks advanced.

A large percentage of English words were derived from Latin words; many also came from Greek words or were made from parts of Greek words.

See more here: Dictionary.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back