Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "granular" mean in the following context? Various or delicate?

In an era when one-to-one communications and granular price discrimination have become easy, a one-price-fits-all model seems archaic.

Thank you.

Instead of everything being part of the "big picture," things are differentiated and categories that would have been grouped together in the past are now separate/distinct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of everything being part of the "big picture," things are differentiated and categories that would have been grouped together in the past are now separate/disctinct.

Typo.

[I have my anal, nit-picking hat on today]
[nb the essential comma in the foregoing!]

...dis[strike]c[/strike]tinct

Typo.

[I have my anal, nit-picking hat on today]
[nb the essential comma in the foregoing!]

You're going to need a bigger hat. ;-)

I'd put the comma after the second quotation marks. The whole of "big picture", including the quotation marks, is part of the first clause

Americans put commas inside quotation marks. Doesn't always make sense. But we do. I really miss my computer with spell check.

I'd put the comma after the second quotation marks. The whole of "big picture", including the quotation marks, is part of the first clause

I usually favor the BrE use of quotation marks. AmE usage was determined by printers whose reasons have long since vanished.

I understand the logic but I'm a writer and I follow the prescribed styles guides. I have no desire to unlearn it for this place and relearn it for the work I'm paid to do.

I totally agree with the British usage, but I don't follow it.

Instead of everything being part of the "big picture," things are differentiated and categories that would have been grouped together in the past are now separate/distinct.
Is this the American practice even when you are merely highlighting words rather than actually quoting them?

Logical or not (and we'll all agree it's not), the comma goes inside the quote mark every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back