Grammar. Do you have/Have you got any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slai55555

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Which is the right sentence
Do you have any money?
or
Have you got any money?

They're both correct and mean the same thing.

Welcome to the forum, Slai55555.

Please note that I have changed your thread title. Grammar alone isn't good enough.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Which is the right sentence?

1. Do you have any money?
[STRIKE]or[/STRIKE]
2. Have you got any money?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my changes above. Your opening question would be more natural as "Which of the following sentences is correct?"

Note that "Have you any money?" is also possible but is heard less frequently than both of your sentences.

Note that "Have you any money?" is also possible but is heard less frequently than both of your sentences.
It's virtually never used in American English, but it would be understood.

As it was once explained to me, "have you any money" is a question about whether you are carrying any on your person, and "do you have any money" is a question about whether or not you are destitute.

In my life I've heard a very few hyper-precise Canadians actually make this distinction. It is, however, to all intents and purposes dead. Among my current acquaintances, I can think of two native-born Canadians of my generation who do say "have you" quite naturally, but both of them were born to immigrants from England.

"Have you got any money" is a common and natural way to ask whether you have some on you.

Last edited:
Informally, say:

You got any money?

As far as I know this difference never existed in BrE. For my schoolmasters, sixty and more years ago, 'do you have?' (in the sense of possession) was simply substandard.

Piscean, would you distinguish "have you got any money" and "have you any money"?

As it was once explained to me, "have you any money" is a question about whether you are carrying any on your person, and "do you have any money" is a question about whether or not you are destitute.

That's quite interesting but I can't imagine what the justification for this could be.

Do you mean to say that this is a description of usage taken from what people actually used to say and mean? Or do you think it's rather an analytical attempt by prescriptivists at making sense of the difference between forms?

Last edited:
For me, the inclusion of the word "any" makes it unlikely that either version is an attempt to find out if the person is generally destitute/wealthy.

Do you have money? = Are you rich?
Do you have/Have you got any money? = Is there any money currently in your pocket/wallet/purse?

Then there is the issue of whether you should even be asking such a question.

Abe: Do you have any money?
Bob: None of your business.

Circumstances vary, of course, and the likelihood of such a question being acceptable varies with the circumstance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back