• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 4,485
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Howdy,
I'd like to ask if you could point me out the difference between the following sentences:
- my flight got delayed
and
- my flight has been delayed

Thanks in advance.

Howdy,
I'd like to ask if you could point me out the difference between the following sentences:
- my flight got delayed
and
- my flight has been delayed

Thanks in advance.

Consider these two situations:
1. You arrive at the arrivals gate at the airport, your friend is there to meet you, you say: "I'm sorry I'm so late, my flight got/was delayed".
2. You phone your friend from the departure lounge, you say: "My flight has been delayed so I'm going to be late".
Do you understand the difference now?

First of all I'd like to thank you for the answer. But to be honest...
bhaisahab said:
Do you understand the difference now?
Unofrtunately I don't.
I was always told that we use the present perfect tense to talk about things which affect "present", but took place in the past. As in your example (the first one) - my flight was delayed (in the past) and right now I'm late (in the moment of speaking with friend - present) - so why wouldn't I use the present perfect tense there?

First of all I'd like to thank you for the answer. But to be honest...

Unofrtunately I don't.
I was always told that we use the present perfect tense to talk about things which affect "present", but took place in the past. As in your example (the first one) - my flight was delayed (in the past) and right now I'm late (in the moment of speaking with friend - present) - so why wouldn't I use the present perfect tense there?
1. You arrive at the arrivals gate at the airport, your friend is there to meet you, you say: "I'm sorry I'm so late, my flight got/was delayed".
2. You phone your friend from the departure lounge, you say: "My flight has been delayed so I'm going to be late".
In #1, The fact of your flight being delayed is in the past, it's finished, it is not delayed now.
In #2 your flight is still delayed, you haven't yet been able to board the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back