Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
hi ...
I have seen following sentence in one official letter.

" I would like to request your good office to kindly sent all correspondences to the above mentioned address"

My question is:
what is the meaning of "good office" ?
How to use this word in official letter??

I suggest you search "your good office" on the net and review some examples of it.

:up: And make sure you look for the singular. 'Good offices' has an idiomatic sense [= 'benign operations"].

b

If it's singular, it's possibly just being polite.

:up: ... but it's being polite about an organization (or even perhaps a place) on the analogy of 'your good self'.

b

The SOED gives this definition:
6 A service done, a kindness, a piece of attention, especially of a specified kind, as good office, kind office. LME

I'm not familiar with the phrase. I read it as someone trying to be overly polite in a clumsy way.

I would think you thought I had perhaps two offices, a good one and a bad one.

ashwini,

People who respond to questions like to know if their answer has been of assistance. Unless you tell them, they never know. There is no need to write – if you just click on the ‘Thank you’ button at the bottom of their post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back