Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Me and my colleagues often discuss the use of English prepositions. The latest discussion concerned a situation when someone is setting up a company and we'd like to wish him good luck. I suppose that you can say "Good luck with your business!" but is it wrong to use the preposition 'for'? > "Good luck for your business!" What is the possible difference in meaning in this context?

Me and m My colleagues and I often discuss the use of English prepositions. The latest discussion concerned a situation when where/in which someone is setting up a company and we'd like to wish him them good luck. I suppose that you can say "Good luck with your business!" but is it wrong to use the preposition 'for', as in "Good luck for your business!"? What is the possible difference in meaning in this context?
Note my corrections above.

Using "for" in that context doesn't work. You're not wishing the business good luck. You're wishing the person good luck.

Yes, use with. Using for doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like saying 'Have some good luck that you may use to help your business.'

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back