Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I am talking about going to hairdresser's but I think some sentences are very unnatural.
1. In each period of my life I went to a hairdresser's differently. I mean I had different hairstyle, the location of the salon was also different. I mean the circumstances were different but I don't think it makes sense in English.
2. Before marriage I had my hair done every month. Can I use "done" if I am not talking about cutting it? I mean styling it. Does "done" include both ideas?
3. After I gave birth to my first child I didn't have time to care for myself. Or should it be "take care of?"
4. When I gave birth to my second child we had Covid restrictions.
5. We had to wear masks even at a hairdresser's.
6. I decided to wear long hair. Do you use "wear" to talk about hair?
7. I prefer to colour my hair at home. I mean dying it.

Last edited:
Please read my comments on your last thread and use the "Edit" facility to fix the basic errors with spacing. Note that you've got two sentences marked "6".
Also, please slow down!!! You've posted three new threads in quick succession and it's clear that you're not taking the time to read our comments and corrections before posting again. It's not a race. You're in danger of flooding the forum, which will result in your threads being put into moderation.

Please read my comments on your last thread and use the "Edit" facility to fix the basic errors with spacing. Note that you've got two sentences marked "6".
Also, please slow down!!! You've posted three new threads in quick succession and it's clear that you're not taking the time to read our comments and corrections before posting again. It's not a race. You're in danger of flooding the forum, which will result in your threads being put into moderation.
I will reread now and edit it now. I am sorry. I don't want to flood the forum. I am saving your explanations to read them later. I post on the forum when I am free. I will slow down of course. I wasn't going to post another thread. This is the last one.

Done! Thank you!

I'm not sure what you're saying you've done but there are still missing spaces in sentences 1, 2, 3 and 4.
I removed two sentences marked 6 and spaces too. I will check again.

I'm not sure what you're saying you've done but there are still missing spaces in sentences 1, 2, 3 and 4.
I had trouble with spacing before too. I hope it is OK now. I reread it several times.

I am talking about going to hairdresser's but I think some of my sentences are very unnatural.
If you think they're unnatural, why didn't you try writing them a different way?
1. In each period of my life I went to a hairdresser's differently. ❌
I mean I had different hairstyle, the location of the salon was also different. I mean the circumstances were different but I don't think it makes sense in English.
You're right. It doesn't make sense. Just say something like "I've used different hairdressers and had lots of different hairstyles during my lifetime".
2. Before marriage I got married, I had my hair done every month.
Can I use "done" if I am not talking about cutting it no question mark here I mean but just styling it? Does "done" include both ideas?
Yes, using "done" doesn't mean you had to have it cut.
3. After I gave birth to my first child, I didn't have time to care for myself.
Or Should it be "take care of?"
I'd use "take care of myself" or "look after myself". Don't start a sentence with "or".
4. When I gave birth to my second child, we had were under Covid restrictions.
See above.
5. We had to wear masks, even at a hairdresser's.
See above.
6. I decided to wear long hair. ❌
Do you use "wear" to talk about hair?
Use either "I decided to wear my hair long" or "I decided to grow my hair".
7. I prefer to colour my hair at home. ✅
I mean dyeing it.
Note the correct spelling of "dyeing". "Dying" is related to the verb "die", not "dye".

If you think they're unnatural, why didn't you try writing them a different way?
As a learner I was curious if they made sense in English :)

As a learner, I was curious to find out if they made sense in English.
You need to work on your use of commas. I've had to add quite a lot of them in the quote box in my various responses.
An emoji is not a replacement for a closing punctuation mark.
In post #9, I've removed all parts of the quote that your response didn't refer to. Please do that yourself in future. You don't need to include the entire quote if you're just replying to a small part of it.

Although some corrections were made by my colleague, you are doing quite well -- so well that the mistakes don't tend to stand out.

I was going to say something else, but I forgot what it was. 😊

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back