Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following conversation was between me and a stranger who I met on the street.

Stranger: Excuse me, would you please tell me where I can take a taxi?
Silver: Sure. Go straight ahead and you'll see a shopping mall. The taxi station is on your left.

Is my reply in italics natural?

Is it in front of the shopping mall?

Is it in front of the shopping mall?

No. Let's say now I'm facing the entrance of the shopping mall. The mall is big. And the taxi station is on my 8 o'clock direction.

The following conversation was between me and a stranger who I met on the street.

Stranger: Excuse me, would you please tell me where I can take a taxi?
Silver: Sure. Go straight ahead and you'll see a [STRIKE]shopping[/STRIKE] mall. The taxi stand will be on your left.

Is my reply in italics natural?
Yes, as corrected. It's not clear whether the taxi stand is before, after, or at the mall, but I'm sure the person found it.

No. Let's say now I'm facing the entrance of the [STRIKE]shopping[/STRIKE] mall. The mall is big. And the taxi stand is at 8 o'clock[STRIKE] direction[/STRIKE].
That means it's behind you and to the left.

Stranger: Excuse me, would you please tell me where I can [STRIKE]take[/STRIKE]
get a taxi?
As written, the stranger was asking what destinations a cab could deliver him to. That was a very strange question!

As written, the stranger was asking what destinations a cab could deliver him to. That was a very strange question!
Glad you caught that!

Yes, the right verb is get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back