Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sometimes it happens that an airplane is landing, but before touching the ground it suddenly (or gradually) starts taking off again because something has happened. The reason could be mist above the ground or some technical problems with the plane (e.g., undercarriage), which make him take off again.

Below is the sentence I've made up myself:

"The airplane was about to land, but then it suddently went on the second circle and landed at Frankfurt airport 30 minutes later".

It the sentence correct? By "go on the second circle" I mean a new circle made by the plane in order to descend again and then land.

It the sentence correct? By "go on the second circle" I mean a new circle made by the plane in order to descend again and then land.
The airplane didn't land. It ascended, and then another attempt was made to land the airplane -- either there or somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
The airplane was coming in for a landing, when the pilot suddenly aborted the landing. We circled around and landed 30 minutes later.

Not only with airlines but also in general aviation this is called a go-around. During the early stages of pilot training long series of go-arounds are performed, and this is called doing touch and goes.

Below is A sentence I've made up myself:

"The airplane was about to land, but then it suddently went on the second circle and landed at Frankfurt airport 30 minutes later".
There is no reason for "suddenly" there. In fact, if I was a passenger on board that airplane I would hope it wouldn't be all that sudden. Just say they aborted the landing and did a go around (a term I just learned).

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back