go for/to a trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
1 - go for a trip
2 - go to a trip

Which one is correct? Are they both correct? If so (or should I say "if yes"?), what is the difference between the two collocations (if there is any)?

Please, correct my English!

Sounds great, but it's a wee bit longer than a trip. ;-)There's also, going to take a trip, from incorrect *go to take a trip.

Sounds great, but it's a wee bit longer than a trip. ;-)There's also, going to take a trip, from incorrect *go to take a trip.

So "a trip" is something between "a walk" and "a journey".
We say "go for a walk" "go for a trip", but we say "go on a journey" "go on holiday" "go on an excursion".
As far as I remember we say" go on a school trip''. If I'm mistaken, correct me.

What do you think if I say "go on a journey"?;-)
Thank you for another collocation! If I was supposed to fill in a preposition (in an English test) to "go ____ a journey", maybe I wouldn't know whether ON or FOR is correct. Now, I willl know! ;-) (If I manage to keep it in my mind.)

So "a trip" is something between "a walk" and "a journey".
We say "go for a walk" "go for a trip", but we say "go on a journey" "go on holiday" "go on an excursion".
As far as I remember we say" go on a school trip''. If I'm mistaken, correct me.
You are not mistaken. (Are you ever? :lol:)

All the best. :-D

What is the difference between "go for a trip" and "go on a trip"? Is ON used only for school trips?

You are not mistaken. (Are you ever? :lol:)

All the best. :-D

Thanks! I can be be mistaken, I am not a native speaker, you know. Though I have been teaching English since the days "The Beatles" became popular.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back