Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
i don't quite get the slang "Go and take a long walk on a shore". Could you explain it to me?

Where have you read this? Who wrote it? In what context?

Where have you read this? Who wrote it? In what context?
In excercise where I'm supposed to identify the slang in the expression but without context.

In an exercise where I'm supposed to identify the slang in the expression but without context.
What is the source of the exercise? I see no slang.

Sometimes "taking a long walk on a beach/shore" describes what's supposed to be a romantic or ideal leisure activity. It may be regarded as something of a cliché, but it's not slang.

Are you sure you understand what 'slang' is?

That's what confused me. I didn't see the slang either.

And the author is ...?

And the author is ...?
A famous Chinese professor who was once on the list of Cambridge Who's Who. But i don't know about his English name.

Apparently he doesn't know what slang is.

It is presumably a faux polite way of telling someone to get lost or go away. It isn't standard slang, but such formulations are not uncommon. You can tell people to take a walk off a short pier or to jump in the lake, which is more common.

. You can tell people to take a walk off a short pier .

I've heard it as a long walk off a short pier (or 'plank' in some pirate films), which is sort of close to the original post.

I can't help but wonder if somebody simply didn't hear (or write) the latter part of the expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back