Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
IMG_4588.jpg
Picked from the film.

What does Gleam beds 10$ mean? Ten dollars per bed?

What does Gamie Limpear mean then?

A clean bed for the night costs ten cents (not dollars). The idea is that the person who made the sign was barely literate. Gamiz Limpeaz seems to be a similarly mangled version of the Spanish camas limpias, which means clean beds. The picture seems to be from a Charlie Chaplin film from the 1920s or 30s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that it's not actually a letter 'M', but a backwards 'N'. I actually think it's the same thing with the letter 'S', rather than a 'Z', although it could well be illiteracy and confusion with that final 'S' sounding like 'Z'. I kind of think the 'G' is actually just a sloppy 'C', too. Note the sloppy brushwork on the serifs of 'E', 'B' and 'L'.

As Probus mentioned, the person who wrote the sign has some literacy issues, or sloppy writing at best. I'm sure it was done intentionally as a movie prop though, so it's hard to say for sure what they were trying to depict.

I think it's meant to be a funny commentary on the lives people lived in those days.

Two things. One, that's about the worst printing I've ever seen. Two, I'm pretty sure the the G is supposed to be a C. (Note what's missing that would make it a G.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back