Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Girl wants to get in a almost full elevator. Someone blurts out:

No worries, we could/can fit one more!

Are both okay?

I am not a teacher.

I would say "can". I would also say "an almost-full elevator".

Well, actually I'd say "lift" but you get my point.

"Can" is natural here. "Could" is possible, but unlikely.

I personally feel that "can" is somehow more inviting, more "sure-no-worries-get-in"-ish, while "could" suggests to me that the speaker is sort of resigned, as if they felt the girl will get in irrespective of their opinion. I would still favor "can", though.

I personally feel that "can" is somehow more inviting, more "sure-no-worries-get-in"-ish, while "could" suggests to me that the speaker is sort of resigned, as if they felt the girl will get in irrespective of their opinion. I would still favor "can", though.

Charlie, I can't support this idea of "could." I suppose you are thinking the implied conditional is "... if you insist on forcing yourself in."

I'd say it's "could" because the implied conditional is "...if you want to try to squish in with us."

The speaker might use could to suggest it's possible if the others agree- it doesn't go so well with no worries, though.

I find it very strange that he should blurt it out rather than just say it naturally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back