Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Jordan
Hi,
Is there an idiom that means that the public are debating and arguing with enthusiasm over a hot topic?
Thank you in advance

Hi,
Is there an idiom that means that the public are debating and arguing with enthusiasm over a hot topic?
Thank you in advance
If it's something not serious, you can say, "It has caught the public's imagination". You could say that about a movie star's antics, or UFO reports, or the discovery of a missing link fossil, etc. but not for something seriously political or social.

Unfortunately I need it in a political context.

Well there is such an idiom, but unfortunately it's not really English. We have borrowed it from the French. But here in Canada, at least, it is commonly used:
Cause célèbre

I suspect it is not much used in the rest of the English speaking world. If using it in English, I would of course omit the accents.

If something is a hot topic, people are debating/discussing it- hot topic is enough IMO.

Well there is such an idiom, but unfortunately it's not really English. We have borrowed it from the French. But here in Canada, at least, it is commonly used:
Cause célèbre

I suspect it is not much used in the rest of the English speaking world. If using it in English, I would of course omit the accents.

Good phrase but not restricted to politics. Could be anything.

Not teacher

Well, there's a political football, meaning a hot topic that's being passed around.
The buzz in Washington is...

The CNN page is called 'Political Hot Topics.'

Hot button issue

Heavily politicized issues are often called "hot button issues" because almost any position taken is sure to please one group of people and offend another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back