Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Which verb is more common ''to receive'' ''to get'' or ''to obtain'' when we talk about education.

''She received a good education in France.''

Hello.

Which verb is more common when we talk about education, ''to receive'', ''to get'', or ''to obtain''?

''She received a good education in France.''
See above. Use the double-quote character, not two single quotes; separate list items with commas when there are more than two; and end every question with a question mark.

I don't know which verb is more common. I suspect it's "got", though, because "received" is more formal. "Obtained" doesn't work well, though it's not impossible.

I take GS's point about using the double-quote character rather than two single quotes, but in British English, single quotes are acceptable too.

I prefer 'She got a good education in France'.

I take GS's point about using the double-quote character rather than two single quotes, but in British English, single quotes are acceptable too.
I should have mentioned that. What is not acceptable is two single quotes to replace one double quote.

Yes – it took me a second or two to spot that.;-)

Yes – it took me a second or two to spot that.;-)
I only noticed it because I used a left arrow key to navigate through the quote.

I'm confident enough to say that get is more common. obtain is no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back