Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

What is a verb I can use to describe the gentle movement of lake's water?

The lake's water was still, but then and gentle wind started blowing and the water...
I need a verb or a beautiful expression for the blank.

Can I use ripple for "sand" too?

We woke up after spending the night in the desert. There was a gentle breeze blowing and sand was rippling on the dune.

Perhaps:

There was a strong breeze blowing the sand into the air.

(There is never just one sand dune. In fact, you can expect there to be so many that they are countless. (Literally. Nobody ever counts them. ;-) ))

The gentle breeze lifted up the sand from the dunes and deposited it back on them in ripples.

The sand didn't move up in the air. It gently moved on the dune.

Perhaps:

There was a strong breeze blowing the sand into the air.

(There is never just one sand dune. In fact, you can expect there to be so many that they are countless. (Literally. Nobody ever counts them. ;-) ))

I want it to mean the sand was gently moving on the surface, not in the air.

Can I use ripple for "sand" too?

We woke up after spending the night in the desert. There was a gentle breeze blowing and sand was rippling on the dune.
I like it.

I like it.

Thanks. Does it convey the meaning I have in mind? I want it to mean the sand was gently moving on the surface of the dune.

Also, don't I need "the" before "sand"?

Thanks. Does it convey the meaning I have in mind? I want it to mean the sand was gently moving on the surface of the dune.

Also, don't I need "the" before "sand"?

Sand is uncountable (literally and grammatically) so it's fine to use it without an article. It suggests that the wind was only moving some of the sand.

The motion of water gently hitting the shoreline is sometimes referred to as 'lapping'. There's just enough motion to create a soft slapping sound.

The water lapped against the rocks.

Sand does not just get moved on the surface (sweeping effect) by the action of the wind. The wind has the effect of moving the sand particles as well as lifting and depositing them further down its path to create the ripple effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back