Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When I go camping, I prepare lots of gear/equipment. so I prefer auto camping sites where I can take/bring gear and set it up easily.
The most important thing is a tarp. Tarps protect sunlight and helps to make an outdoor living room to do some major activities.

Are the underlined parts correct?

Last edited:
1. You can use either term.

2. ..where I can bring along my camping equipment..

3. Tarps keeps out/provide shelter from sunlight and create a useable outdoor living space

1. You can use either term.

2. ..where I can bring along my camping equipment..

3. Tarps keeps out/provide shelter from sunlight and create a useable outdoor living space

For 3, isn't "usable" same as "useable"?
Also, can I omit "to do some major activities."? Is it included in the word "useable outdoor living space"?

For 3, isn't "usable" same as "useable"?
Also, can I omit "to do some major activities."? Is it included in the word "useable outdoor living space"?

1. Yes, both versions can be used.

2. "To do some major activities" does not mean much unless you state the type of activities. It is understood to be a space for multi-purpose.

I'm going camping!

Keannu, isn't this thread exactly the same as the other one?

I do not know what you mean by prepare gear.

You certainly can take your gear with you to the campsite.

The most important thing is a tarp.

What does that mean?

Tarps protect sunlight.

Sunlight doesn't need protection.

I suggest that you don't use that last line at all.

Please don't ask the same question over and over.

:roll:

Re: I'm going camping!

By prepare gear. I meant "find gear in the house and pack them in to backpacks or have them ready to be loaded into my car", all kinds of activities need to take gear to a campsite. Does it sound weird in English?

Keannu, isn't this thread exactly the same as the other one?

I do not know what you mean by prepare gear.

You certainly can take your gear with you to the campsite.

The most important thing is a tarp.

What does that mean?

Tarps protect sunlight.

Sunlight doesn't need protection.

I suggest that you don't use that last line at all.

Please don't ask the same question over and over.

:roll:

By prepare gear. I meant "find gear in the house and pack them in to backpacks or have them ready to be loaded into my car", all kinds of activities need to take gear to a campsite. Does it sound weird in English?

That's not preparing it. That's just getting it ready to take with you. I guess you could say you need to get it so you can put it in the car/truck. But that's not necessary. Most people know the gear doesn't put itself in your car.

:)

(In this case at least gear is not a them. More about that later.)

By prepare gear. I meant "find gear in the house and pack it into backpacks or have it ready to be loaded into my car". All kinds of things need to be done to get the gear to a campsite. Does it sound weird in English?

Not the way it looks now. It's not weird at all.
;-)

You might say "Why is 'gear' singular there?" Because although camping gear is more than one item we don't say camping gears. That because we don't call each individual item camping gear. Instead we use that term to refer to all of the stuff together.

Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back