Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand the relationships between "(GCC) Executive Committee - (CISA) " as "CISA is the Executive Committee of GCC." Am I on the right track?

================================
WASHINGTON – The members of Election Infrastructure Government Coordinating Council (GCC) Executive Committee – Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) Assistant Director Bob Kolasky, U.S. Election Assistance Commission Chair Benjamin Hovland, National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS) President Maggie Toulouse Oliver, National Association of State Election Directors (NASED) President Lori Augino, and Escambia County (Florida) Supervisor of Elections David Stafford – and the members of the Election Infrastructure Sector Coordinating Council (SCC) ....

Source: Original release date: November 12, 2020
JOINT STATEMENT FROM ELECTIONS INFRASTRUCTURE GOVERNMENT COORDINATING COUNCIL & THE ELECTION INFRASTRUCTURE SECTOR COORDINATING EXECUTIVE COMMITTEES
https://www.cisa.gov/news/2020/11/1...ture-government-coordinating-council-election

Last edited:
All you have quoted is a simple list of the members of the GCC Executive Committee. It tells us nothing about relationships.

What does the dash “-“ (Committee Cybersecurity) mean there?

What does the dash “-“ (Committee – Cybersecurity) mean there?
It's part of the council's name. It means the council is focused on cybersecurity.

I understand the relationships between "(GCC) Executive Committee - (CISA) " as "CISA is the Executive Committee of GCC." Am I on the right track?
Do the words say that, or do they tell you that the listed people and the members of the Election Infrastructure Sector Coordinating Council (SCC) have issued a joint statement?

It's part of the council's name. It means the council is focused on cybersecurity.

Beng focused on "Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security" is easy to understand. The problem is that it is followed by "agency":

Executive Committee - Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency

Focused on... angency? A new explanation appears to be necessary.

Do the words say that, or do they tell you that the listed people and the members of the Election Infrastructure Sector Coordinating Council (SCC) have issued a joint statement?

The title of the statement has already revealed it:

JOINT STATEMENT
FROM ELECTIONS INFRASTRUCTURE GOVERNMENT COORDINATING COUNCIL & THE ELECTION INFRASTRUCTURE SECTOR COORDINATING EXECUTIVE COMMITTEES

The problem is that it is followed by "agency":

Executive Committee - Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency

Focused on... agency? A new explanation appears to be necessary.
Sorry, I answered your question without looking closely at the quoted text. The listed names are the members of the Executive Committee of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.

You will quickly get lost in the weeds if you try to make sense of government bodies in Washington.

Last edited:
It separates the committee from its members. You could use a colon there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back