Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

Please watch the video above

I have read a lot of grammar books about ways talking about future.
I also already read the link https://www.usingenglish.com/teachers/articles/ways-expressing-future-in-english.html , which teachers here recommended.

But when watching English movie, I am still confused about the way native choose which way to talk about the future.

In that clip cut from the movie "The bride's mother"

The newly married couple was going to go to the honeymoon right after the wedding, but a problem happened, so they decided to not going to the honeymoon and stay to see what happened

The girl who is the bride in the white dress said :
(1) I am staying.

I think that my other 2 version is also right:
(2) I 'll stay
(3) I 'm going to stay

I think that this is an spontaneous decision, so I think that the simple future- will as in (2) should be used.
What if I used the sentence (2) or (3) in this context, would it sound unnatural?

Last edited:
The girl who is the bride in the white dress said :
(1) I am staying.
Actually it's 'We're staying'.
I think that this is an spontaneous decision, so I think that the simple future- will as in (2)
should be used.
That's what you think. The speaker in the clip views the situation differently.
What if I used the sentence (2) or (3) in this context, would it sound unnatural?
Probably not.

Actually it's 'We're staying'.
yes, my mistake.

Probably not.
I think that there is the difference in the nuance between these versions, but I don't know what it is:

(1) We 're staying.
(2) We'll stay.
(3)We 're going to stay.

Could you please tell me what is the difference between them?

In that case you should be able to answer your question below.
I actually can't figure out the difference between them. So I need your help.

(1) We 're staying.
(2) We'll stay.
(3)We 're going to stay.
To over-simplify things for the sake of brevity:

1. an arrangement already made;
2. an instant decision OR an offer;
3. a future situation for which there is present evidence.

How do you know this?
Because they were scheduled to go to the honeymoon, but then suddenly something happened ( between the old man and the old woman) , they decided to stay to stay to see what happens

In the video, the character made the arrangement right at the time of speaking.

Well, just before, actually. Watch the video again and you'll see the bride and groom glance at each other before the girl says "We're staying". That's the precise moment they make the unspoken arrangement.

Please watch the video above.

I have read a lot of grammar books about ways of talking about the future.
I also already read the information at the link https://www.usingenglish.com/teachers/articles/ways-expressing-future-in-english.html, which teachers here recommended.

But However, when watching English movies, I am still confused about the way native speakers choose which way how to talk about the future.

In that clip, cut taken from the movie "The Bride's Mother", the newly married couple was going to go to the on their honeymoon right after the wedding, but a problem happened occurred no comma here so they decided to not going not to go to the on their honeymoon and but to stay to see what happened.

The girl who is the bride in the white dress said:
(1) I am staying.

I think that my other 2 these two versions is would also be right:
(2) I'll stay
(3) I'm going to stay

I think that this is an a spontaneous decision no comma here so I think that the simple future "will", as in (2), should be used.
What if I used the sentence (2) or (3) in this context? Would it they sound unnatural?

Yes; my mistake.

I think that there is the a difference in the nuance between these versions, but I don't know what it is:

(1) We're staying.
(2) We'll stay.
(3) We're going to stay.

Could you please tell me what is the difference between them is?

I actually can't figure out the difference between them no full stop here so I need your help.

In the video, the character made the arrangement right at the time of speaking. This means that the present continuous can be used for arrangements made right at the time of speaking. Am I right?

Because they were scheduled to go to the on their honeymoon, but then suddenly something happened (between the old man and the old woman) no full stop here so they decided to stay to stay to see what happens.
Please note my corrections to all your posts in this thread above. Some are grammatical corrections but many are to do with punctuation and spacing.

Not a teacher

These two lines tell about the decisions, that have been taken now, but these will affect the future.
this is a present action that will continue in force.

1) We're saying here.
2) I'm going to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a teacher

These two lines sentences tell are about the decisions no comma here that have been are being taken now, but these will affect the future.
This is a present action that will continue in force.

1) We're staying here.
2) I'm going to stay.
@Jyoti Rawat Please note my corrections above. I have no idea what the underlined part means. Also note that when you try to help another learner, you must make it clear that you are not a teacher. I have added the relevant note to your response. Please do this yourself in future if you respond to any more learners.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back