Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does this sentence sound natural in the context when I am talking about Lego constructors?

He tried to assemble a city from a Lego constructor. He used different constructors too.

It looks fine to me. (I don't know what a Lego constructor is.)

The word 'constructor' means nothing to me in those sentences.

It makes no sense to me. A constructor is someone who builds something. Are you talking about "Lego sets", sometimes known as "Lego construction sets/kits"?

It makes no sense to me. A constructor is someone who builds something. Are you talking about "Lego sets", sometimes known as "Lego construction sets/kits"?
Yes, I am. Should I use the following sentences instead? "He tried to assemble a city from Lego sets/Lego construction sets/kits."

You don't need to bother with the end at all. Everyone knows what Lego is.

He tried to build a city from Lego.
He tried to build a city out of Lego.
He tried to build a Lego city.

Yes, I am. Should I use the following sentences instead? "He tried to assemble a city from Lego sets/Lego construction sets/kits."
I'm not sure what you mean by the "He tried to assemble a city" part. What do I mean by that? Well, a city is more than one or two buildings. It is perhaps a thousand buildings. If he failed in his effort to built a city (probably overambitious) then "tried" definitely makes sense there.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "He tried to assemble a city" part. What do I mean by that? Well, a city is more than one or two buildings. It is perhaps a thousand buildings. If he failed in his effort to built a city (probably overambitious) then "tried" definitely makes sense there.
I meant "he built a city". So you don't say "assemble a city from Lego sets", do you?

@Rachel Adams If he built it then "tried" is inappropriate there. How many buildings are in that city? (If there are only three or four I wouldn't consider that a city -- a small town maybe, or a village.)

@Rachel Adams If he built it then "tried" is inappropriate there. How many buildings are in that city? (If there are only three or four I wouldn't consider that a city -- a small town maybe, or a village.)
But "assemble" is the wrong word, isn't it?

But "assemble" is the wrong word, isn't it?
I don't see why it would be. But it would be a bit unusual to say somebody assembled a city. However, we are talking about Lego.

There's nothing wrong with "build/built". Lego pieces are sometimes referred to as "building blocks".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back