Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Teacher, do I have to say "friendly" reminder? I see it often in emails.

Just a friendly reminder, I work from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Mondays.

Teacher, do I have to say "friendly" reminder? I see it often in emails.

Just a friendly reminder, I work from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Mondays.
No. In fact fact you shouldn't say it. "Friendly reminder" is only used when there is some apparent threat or unpleasantness in the reminder.
"I get extremely angry very quickly. This is just a friendly reminder."
"Our overdue charges doubled last week - just a friendly reminder."
You could use your phrase if someone rings you at 9pm wanting you to work, and you want to make sure they don't do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree entirely with Raymott. Usually "friendly" is used to suggest that you are trying to lessen the ferocity of the reminder. I came up with almost the same example as Raymott's last example.

If someone tries to contact me about a work matter while I am on annual leave, I might reply to them with "Just a friendly reminder - I'm on leave". (Actually, I would simply ignore the email/text/phone message.)

I know I am in the minority here, but there are times when a "friendly reminder" is just that.

I will be on vacation next week.
We have a meeting scheduled for noon tomorrow.
Your proposals are due by 5 o'clock tomorrow.

I'm with Raymott and emsr2d2 on this one. Whenever someone gives me a "friendly" reminder, I have to restrain myself from visiting violence upon them.

They don't call me Grumpy for nothing......

I get that Grumpy, but other opinion abound.

The only one I see using it here in work is not a native speaker. It can come off as passive aggressive, especially if it is used to follow up an email or something that has not been answered yet.

I don't have the same sense as the others. My library sends me friendly reminders that my books are due in a couple days. My dentist sends me friendly reminders about my upcoming appointments. I don't find it passive-aggressive.

I don't have the same sense as the others. My library sends me friendly reminders that my books are due in a couple days. My dentist sends me friendly reminders about my upcoming appointments. I don't find it passive-aggressive.
Yes, I think this use of "friend/friendly" is more common in America. For example, I've been told that "Dear Friend/s" is often used in America as a friendly greeting in writing, whereas here at least, it means that someone wants your money or wants to convert you to their religion.

If you are using it in an email to remind a colleague that he hasn't answered a previous email, then that is different than the florist reminding you that your anniversary is coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back